- Title: Hong Kong police and protesters exchange tear gas and petrol bombs
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) HONG KONG PROTESTERS SHOWING POLICE THEIR MIDDLE FINGERS AND SHOUTING VULGARITY RIOT POLICE OFFICERS WATCHING FROM TSIM SHA TSUI STATION TEAR GAS BEING FIRED TO GROUP OF FRONTLINE PROTESTERS / PROTESTER DISTINGUISHING TEAR GAS VARIOUS PROTESTERS HOLDING UMBRELLAS AND HOLDING LINE FRONTLINE PROTESTERS AND PRESS MEMBERS RUNNING POLICE POINTING FIREARMS JOURNALISTS STANDING / TEAR GAS SMOKE JOURNALISTS AND FRONTLINE PROTESTERS TAKING COVER BESIDE WALL VARIOUS FIRE FROM PETROL BOMB ON STEPS OF TSIM SHA TSUI POLICE STATION POLICE TRYING TO STOP FIRE FROM HOSE REEL VARIOUS PROTESTERS THROWING BACK TEAR GAS TO POLICE POLICE SPRAYING WATER FROM INSIDE STATION VARIOUS PROTESTERS HURLING PETROL BOMBS INSIDE POLICE STATION PROTESTERS RUNNING AMONG TEAR GAS SMOKE TEAR GAS ON GROUND PROTESTER HURLING BACK TEAR GAS, FIRE ON STEPS OF POLICE STATION PROTESTERS ADVANCING TOWARDS POLICE STATION GATE / TEAR GAS BOUNCING OFF UMBRELLA PROTESTERS RETREATING / TEAR GAS SMOKE PROTESTERS HOLDING ON TO STICKS PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMB INTO POLICE STATION TEAR GAS BEING FIRED INTO PROTEST CROWD POLICE SPRAYING WATER FROM STATION / PETROL BOMB POLICE HOLDING ON TO FIREARMS / MORE TEAR GAS POLICE POINTING FIREARM JOURNALISTS IN FRONT OF POLICE STATION PROTESTERS TAKING WOODEN PLANKS AND GATHERING VARIOUS OF FIRE
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 09:10
- Keywords: Hong Kong China tear gas clash
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1WGJT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
Hong Kong police fired tear gas at protesters throwing petrol bombs on Sunday (October 20) as thousands staged an illegal march through the Kowloon district that will test the strength of the pro-democracy campaign after four months of unrest.
Police inside the Tsim Sha Tsui police station fired volleys of tear gas and used a loudspeaker to call on protesters in the street below to disperse.
Hardcore black-clad protesters threw petrol bombs at the station's iron gate and inside the compound.
Hong Kong has been battered by months of often massive and violent protests over concerns Beijing is tightening its grip on the city, the worst political crisis since Britain handed the city back to China in 1997.
The crisis in the Chinese-ruled city also poses the biggest popular challenge to China's President Xi Jinping since he took power. Beijing has denied eroding Hong Kong's freedoms and Xi has vowed to crush any attempt to split China.
The unrest was sparked by a bill that would have allowed extradition to mainland China for trial in Communist Party-controlled courts. It has since widened into a pro-democracy movement.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher, Joyce Zhou, Afiq Satikin, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None