- Title: Unprecedented anti-government protests swell across Lebanon
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CROWDS WAVING LEBANESE FLAGS
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 16:42
- Keywords: crowds anti-government protests revolt Martyrs' Square flags protests demonstration Beirut Lebanon day four
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002B1WI2BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Massive protests swelled across Lebanon on Sunday (October 20) in an unprecedented show of dissent against its ruling elite as hundreds of thousands converged to demand the overthrow of a system they see as riddled with corruption and cronyism.
A sea of people, some waving or draped with Lebanese flags, crammed into the iconic Beirut's Martyrs Square for a fourth day, calling for revolution in protests that resembled the 2011 Arab revolts that toppled four presidents.
Cheerful, buoyant and hopeful that their protests would bring change, people of all ages and religions played patriotic songs and danced in the streets, with some forming human chains and chanting for their leaders to be ousted.
The anti-government protests, fuelled by crippling economic conditions and anger at perceived government corruption, have fanned out across the country since Thursday (October 17).
(Production: Ahmad El Kerdi, Ayat Basma, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.