- Title: Thousands of Hong Kong protesters stage illegal march, block roads
- Date: 20th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING FEET OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARDS PLACARD READING (ENGLISH): "HONG KONGERS RESIST" PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF BUILDINGS / BANNER ON GROUND READING (ENGLISH): "STOP IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE" PROTESTER WEARING "SCREAM" MASK (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRO-DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT ACTIVIST, AVERY NG, SAYING: "The reason why number of protesters dropped is because the government are now refusing to authorise any peaceful protest. That means anyone who comes out will inherently be breaking the law. So that's the tactic the Hong Kong government is using. So don't think that the movement is slowing down. In fact, it is growing stronger and stronger. And if you pan your camera around, every single one of the protesters today standing around here today, are literally breaking the law. PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (ENGLISH)" "CARRIE LAM HAS BEEN SHAMEFULLY SILENT ON POLICE VIOLENCE" PROTESTERS HOLDING UP PLACARDS OF REVOLUTION (SOUNDBITE) (English) 23-YEAR OLD HONG KONG PROTESTER, NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "Because our government still not accept our five demands and they keep suppress us, our freedom and our freedom of speech, our freedom to demonstrate. And, as you may know, we are, we are not facing a problem about police force about their force to hit the protester and that's why we are here too. We are here to protect our citizens and we are here to force our international cities." PEOPLE WALKING AND HOLDING PLACARDS HONG KONG'S COLONIAL FLAG VARIOUS PEOPLE HOLDING UMBRELLAS AND MARCHING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERING NEAR HONG KONG ART MUSEUM MAN HOLDING SIGN PROTESTERS GIVING OUT WATER VARIOUS PEOPLE FLOODING INTO GATHERING POINT AT HONG KONG MUSEUM OF ART VARIOUS CROWDS IN FRONT OF MUSEUM VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BUILDING BARRICADES AT ENTRANCE OF WEST KOWLOON STATION PROTESTERS CARRYING BARRICADES AND METAL SHEET MARCH PASSING PROTESTER BUILDING BARRICADE TOURISTS LUGGING LUGGAGE AND STANDING NEAR ENTRANCE OF WEST KOWLOON STATION PROTESTERS PUSHING OBJECTS TO BUILDING BARRICADES
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2019 06:53
- Keywords: Hong Kong China demonstration protest gathering anti-government
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1WG9JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Hong Kong protesters took to the streets on Sunday (October 20) in an anti-government mass march to West Kowloon highspeed rail station, in spite of the risk of arrest, after police banned the rally.
Hardcore protesters have in recent weeks targeted mainland Chinese businesses, daubing them in graffiti and at times setting fires, while mainland Chinese living in Hong Kong have begun to express fears for their own safety.
The demands include universal suffrage, an independent inquiry into police action against protesters, amnesty for those charged, and an end to describing protesters as rioters.
In the past, thousands of people have defied police and staged mass rallies without permission, often peaceful at the start but becoming violent at night. Protesters have hurled bricks and petrol bombs at police, who have responded with baton charges and volleys of tear gas on city streets.
(Production: Chantha Lach, Joyce Zhou, Afiq Satikinittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None