- Title: French yellow vests show support for Assange outside London court
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS, SOME WEARING YELLOW VESTS, STANDING OUTSIDE WESTMINSTER MAGISTRATES COURT EXTERIOR OF WESTMINSTER MAGISTRATES COURT
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 11:17
- Keywords: Julian Assange London extradition hearing delay denied
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21JFWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Yellow vest protesters showed support for Julian Assange outside a London court on Monday (October 21), as the WikiLeaks founder appeared for a hearing on whether he should be extradited to the United States to face spying charges.
The group of protesters, a dozen of which were wearing high-visibility yellow vest jackets, held banners and chanted "Free Julian Assange!" in French and English.
"In France the yellow vests are for social freedom, work, pensions, and also to remove oligarchs, to redistribute money and the economy, and Julian Assange is part of the fight for freedom," said a protester from Paris, Valentin Rocher.
"We think that Julian Assange could be a yellow vest... Because he's someone who has spoken openly, who has done research, and who has tried to understand for himself," said Rosana D'Ambra, another protester from Paris.
The yellow vests, named after motorists' high-visibility jackets, emerged in France late last year, triggered by fuel tax rises and swelling into a revolt against President Emmanuel Macron's style of government.
(Production: Ben Makori, Iona Serrapica, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None