- Title: 'Jovenel step down!' - Haitians protest President Moise
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) LARGE CROWD OF PROTESTERS PROTEST ORGANIZERS ON TRUCK
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 03:58
- Keywords: Haiti protest protesters Haitian President Jovenel Moise resign resignation step down
- Location: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- City: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21I0JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Haitians took to the streets of Port-au-Prince on Sunday (October 20) calling for the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.
Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, has been rocked by violent protests in the last month that have led schools, public offices and businesses to close and forced non-governmental organisations to suspend aid distribution.
Opposition leaders and their supporters in the nation of 11 million are calling for the resignation of President Jovenel Moise, 51, amid anger over fuel and food shortages, a steep currency devaluation and corruption allegations.
This is the longest stretch of demonstrations against Moise since they broke out last year. At least 17 people have been killed and 189 injured, according to Haiti's National Network for the Defence of Human Rights.
(Production: Robenson Sanon)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.