- Title: Rioting migrants torch cars at Maltese holding centre
- Date: 21st October 2019
- Summary: HAL FAR, MALTA (OCTOBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WALKING AND RUNNING IN FRONT OF BURNING CARS VARIOUS OF CARS BURNING MIGRANT SITTING IN FRONT OF BURNING VAN MIGRANTS GATHERED WATCHING FIRE BURNING VEHICLES VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS IN HOLDING CENTRE BURNING VEHICLES VARIOUS OF FIRE BRIGADE PUTTING OUT FLAMES MIGRANTS IN HOLDING CENTRE FIRE BRIGADE PUTTING OUT FIRE FIRE BRIGADE WALKING IN HOLDING CENTRE
- Embargoed: 4th November 2019 07:50
- Keywords: Migrant holding centre island of Malta riots
- Location: HAL FAR, MALTA
- City: HAL FAR, MALTA
- Country: Malta
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B21IHXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rioting migrants set several cars on fire and injured a policeman at a Malta holding centre on Sunday evening (October 20) as they demanded their freedom.
The incident flared at about 10 pm (2000 GMT) at a former British army barracks in Hal Far, about 13 kilometres (8 miles) south of the capital Valletta. The migrants took control of part of the compound, but a police spokesman said the situation was brought back under control at about 4 am (0200 GMT).
Malta's migrant reception and holding centres are under pressure after several hundred migrants arrived in Malta over the past few months. Many of them were brought to the island following agreement with other countries for their distribution, but they have been stuck in Malta while arrangements are made.
Eyewitnesses on Monday said the migrants at Hal Far had torched several rooms as well as cars belonging to staff. One police car was also damaged.
The police confirmed that one policeman was slightly injured.
(Production: Darrin Zammit Lupi, Cristiano Corvino, Eleanor Biles)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None