- Title: Kais Saied sworn in as Tunisia's new president
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF SAIED AND PARLIAMENTARIAN STANDING AND SINGING TUNISIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 12:56
- Keywords: Kais Saied Tunisian President sworn in Tunisian presidential election Tunisia politics
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2BIU6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kais Saied, a political outsider and retired law professor, was sworn in as Tunisian president on Wednesday (October 23) after he won a landslide victory in this month's election.
Saied's win delivered a heavy blow to a governing elite accused of failing to improve living standards or end corruption since the 2011 revolution that introduced democracy after years of authoritarian rule.
Even with a large mandate, the new president has less direct control of policy than the prime minister and both will quickly face a series of tough challenges including high unemployment rates and fighting corruption.
Tunisia's president controls foreign and defence policy, governing alongside a prime minister chosen by parliament who has authority over domestic affairs.
(Production: Jihed Abdellaoui, Mai Shams El-Din)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.