- Title: British police find 39 dead in truck container, arrest driver
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: GRAYS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE CORDONED OFF ROAD / LORRY IN BACKGROUND POLICE VEHICLES AND LORRY LORRY POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR CORDON VARIOUS OF FORENSICS NEAR LORRY VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE CORDONED OFF ROAD POLICE CAR
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 11:33
- Keywords: 39 bodies tr
- Location: GRAYS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: GRAYS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BJTQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:British police found the bodies of 39 people inside a truck believed to have come from Bulgaria at an industrial estate to the east of London on Wednesday (October 23), and said they had arrested the driver on suspicion of murder.
The discovery was made in the early hours after emergency services were alerted to people in the truck container, on a gritty industrial site in Grays, about 20 miles from central London.
Police officers in forensic suits were on Wednesday inspecting a large white container on a red truck next to warehouses at the site. Police had sealed off the surrounding area of the industrial estate with large green barriers as they carried out their investigation.
The truck was thought to have entered Britain at Holyhead, a North Wales port that is a major entry point for traffic from Ireland, on Saturday, and to have originally started its journey in Bulgaria, police said. The driver of the truck, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, was in custody.
All those in the container, 38 adults and one teenager, were pronounced dead at the scene after the emergency services were called to the Waterglade Industrial Park, not far from docks on the River Thames.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Iona Serappica)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None