- Title: Bangladesh sentences 16 to death for killing teenager in harassment case
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: FENI DISTRICT, BANGLADESH (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF RAPID ACTION BATTALION PERSONNEL STANDING GUARD OUTSIDE COURT MEMBERS OF SPECIAL BRANCH OF POLICE IN BROWN VESTS STANDING GUARD FENI RESIDENTS GATHERING OUTSIDE COURT VARIOUS OF LAWYERS AND PEOPLE IN COURT COMPOUND POLICE LEADING THE MAIN CONVICTED SUSPECT (WHITE CAP), A SCHOOL PRINCIPAL, DOWNSTAIRS AFTER VERDICT WAS GIVEN POLICE LEADING ANOTHER CONVICT DOWNSTAIRS FEMALE POLICE LEADING FEMALE CONVICTS DOWNSTAIRS POLICE VAN BRINGING CONVICTS TO THE PRISON RELATIVES OF GUILTY CONVICTS GRIEVING ON THE STREET FEMALE RELATIVE OF A CONVICT SHOUTING (Bengali): "MY SON WAS WRONGLY ACCUSED!" / ANOTHER RELATIVE SINGING FEMALE RELATIVE OF A CONVICT SHOUTING AND GRIEVING ISLAMIC SCHOOL WHERE THE CRIME HAPPENED SIGN BOARD OF THE SCHOOL STUDENTS STANDING AROUND IN SCHOOL STUDENTS WALKING FEMALE STUDENTS AT A BALCONY FEMALE STUDENTS CHATTING
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 11:19
- Keywords: Bangladesh sentences 16 to death for killing teenager in harassment case
- Location: FENI DISTRICT, BANGLADESH
- City: FENI DISTRICT, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2GFL1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The principal of a religious school in Bangladesh was among 16 people sentenced to death on Thursday (October 24) for the murder of a teenage girl who refused to withdraw a complaint of sexual harassment against him, the public prosecutor said.
The killers poured kerosene over Nusrat Jahan, 18, and set her on fire on the roof of her school in April in the southeastern district of Feni. Police said in their chargesheet the murder was carried out at the principal's order.
Outside the courthouse in Feni district, security was tightened and relatives of those convicted publicly grieved. Defense lawyer Giasuddin Nannu said his clients will challenge the verdict in the High Court.
Jahan's death sparked public outrage and mass demonstrations calling for her killers to be punished. She had faced pressure to withdraw a complaint to police in March accusing the school principal of attempted rape and also the case, her family said.
(Production: Rafiqur Rahman, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None