- Title: Chile protests flare; president pledges social reforms
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS IN PLAZA ITALIA, AFTER MARCHES WERE LED BY STUDENTS AND TRADE UNIONISTS RIOT POLICEMEN GETTING DOWN FROM VEHICLE AND FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS AT RIOT POLICEMEN FIRES BLAZING IN STREET POLICEMAN FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTER / VERTICAL PAN TO PROTESTERS RUNNING ACROSS STREET POLICE, POLICE VEHICLES ON AVENUE / PROTESTERS ON BACKGROUND WATER CANNON TRUCK SPRAYING WATER TO DISPERSE CROWD PROTESTERS IN STREET ARMOURED VEHICLE APPROACHING PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS IN STREET ARMOURED VEHICLE APPROACHES DEMONSTRATORS RIOT POLICEMEN LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF ARMOURED VEHICLE SPRAYING WATER AND TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 01:43
- Keywords: social reforms trade unionists Chilean President Sebastian Pinera riots Students social inequality demonstration marches Santiago
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BL7IF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protests flared in Chile's capital Santiago on Wednesday (October 23) after days of protests, arson attacks and looting which has seen more than 6,000 people detained and at least 15 people killed. Thousands of Chileans defied a state of emergency and military curfews.
Clashes erupted after largely peaceful marches were led by students and trade unionists in the first formally organized demonstration against social inequality since Chilean President Sebastian Pinera pledged social reforms to try to quell days of rioting.
Pinera has said he hoped to turn the violent protests into an "opportunity" for Chile.
Pinera's proposed reforms include a guaranteed minimum wage, a hike in the state pension and the stabilization of electricity costs.
The president said the package represented "concrete and urgent steps" to resolve inequality that has sent tens of thousands into the streets to demand an economic overhaul and, in some cases, his removal.
(Production: Esteban Medel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None