- Title: Man City's Rodri, Zinchenko out for weeks with injuries
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) MANCHESTER CITY TRAINING
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 16:36
- Keywords: Pep Guardiola Manchester City Premier League Aston Villa
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA008B2LJ2GV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City were dealt a fresh injury blow after manager Pep Guardiola confirmed on Friday (October 25) that left back Oleksandr Zinchenko and midfielder Rodri would be sidelined for a few weeks.
"He (Zinchenko) had a contact with the knee and felt something in the bone and he has to stop four weeks, five weeks more or less," Guardiola told a news conference ahead of Saturday's Premier League match against Aston Villa.
Rodri, who played in central defence in their midweek Champions League win over Atalanta, injured his hamstring in the first half and had to be substituted.
Zinchenko, meanwhile, was forced to undergo a minor surgery on his knee which could keep him out of action until December.
With an injury crisis in defence, Guardiola opted to play midfielders Rodri and Fernandinho in the back line in their last two games and he said centre back John Stones was still not completely match fit to play 90 minutes.
Speaking about the qualities of Aston Villa, Guardiola said that they have a good team spirit, quality up front and a good environment in the team.
(Production: Annette Faydenko)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None