- Title: Samsung's Jay Y. Lee leaves court after bribery trial
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** HEIR OF SAMSUNG GROUP, JAY Y. LEE, AND HIS LAWYER WALKING OUT OF BUILDING AND GETTING IN VAN FORMER SAMSUNG GROUP EXECUTIVES WALKING OUT OF BUILDING FORMER SAMSUNG GROUP PRESIDENT CHANG CHOONG-KI GETTING IN CAR / CAR CARRYING CHANG DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 02:44
- Keywords: South Korea Samsung Jay Y. Lee retrial bribery trial departure
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LGA4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Samsung Group heir Jay Y. Lee left Seoul High Court on Friday (October 25) after the start of a bribery trial that could result in a tougher sentence.
The Supreme Court overturned in August part of an appeals court bribery conviction against Samsung's de facto chief, who had been given a two-and-a-half-year suspended sentence for seeking favours from former president Park Geun-hye.
Lee, vice chairman of the group's flagship company Samsung Electronics Co, has already served one year of detention but walked free last year after the appellate court halved a lower court's five-year jail sentence and suspended it for three years.
The trial comes as current South Korean President Moon Jae-in seeks help from big business leaders to resuscitate a fragile economy.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None