- Title: Fog blankets Ukraine capital, forces flight cancellations
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GROUNDS OF KIEV AIRPORT COVERED BY FOG, SIGN READING (Ukrainian): "KIEV" PLANE ON DISPLAY COVERED BY FOG PERSON ENTERING TERMINAL BUILDING WITH SIGN READING (Ukrainian, English): "DEPARTURE" INTERIOR OF TERMINAL BUILDING, PEOPLE WALKING AND SITTING SCREEN SHOWING STATUS OF FLIGHTS PEOPLE WALKING AND SITTING IN AIRPORT TERMINAL (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) PASSENGER FLYING FROM KIEV TO BAKU, VIKTORIYA PETRENKO, SAYING: "My flight is not cancelled yet, everything is fine for now, though I've heard many flights were cancelled. When I flew from Germany, from Munich, my flight was also cancelled and I had to wait for a long time. It happened twice already." VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING STATUS OF FLIGHTS (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) PASSENGER FLYING FROM KIEV TO FRANKFURT, YULIYA STEPANISHEVA, SAYING: "As for now, there is no information about my flight to Frankfurt. We were supposed to depart at 11:55 a.m. There is no information on the screen. However, I can see in the app that the flight is already delayed by 35 minutes. That is all we know for the moment." PLANE PARKED ON TARMAC VARIOUS OF ARCH AND MONUMENT OF NATIONS' FRIENDSHIP COVERED BY FOG VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE VARIOUS OF CITY SKYLINE COVERED WITH FOG CATHEDRAL DOMES COVERED WITH FOG VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ACROSS PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE PEOPLE WALKING ON SIDEWALK, WOMAN WEARING POLLUTION MASK WALKING / MONUMENT TO INDEPENDENCE COVERED BY FOG (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) STUDENT, TETYANA, RESPONDING TO WHY SHE IS WEARING MASK, SAYING: "I know that the air is polluted now. We are in second place after China." MONUMENT TO INDEPENDENCE COVERED BY FOG KIEV, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WEATHER FORECASTER, VLADYSLAV BILYK, POINTING AT MAP (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) WEATHER FORECASTER FROM UKRAINIAN WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER, VLADYSLAV BILYK, SAYING: "Data collected by the weather prediction center, as we also control air quality, confirm our opinion that there are no harmful, dangerous or negative particles in the air which pose a threat to people." DIGITAL MAP SHOWING UKRAINE (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) WEATHER FORECASTER FROM UKRAINIAN WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER, VLADYSLAV BILYK, SAYING: "Fog is a very typical phenomenon for autumn. The only exception is that it lasts a bit longer this year than usual. It is a bit stronger, and I've already explained why. There is no movement of air masses for a long time, that's why we can observe it (fog)".
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 13:56
- Keywords: Ukraine fog environment weather conditions Indian summer Kiev air pollution flights delayed
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LIERD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ukraine's capital Kiev has been hit by thick autumn fog since Monday (October 21) and caused numerous flight delays and cancellations due to safety reasons at two major airports.
Weather forecasters from the Ukrainian Weather Prediction Center reported dense fog is an ordinary autumn phenomenon triggered by a gap in night and day temperatures and no wind for extended periods of time.
However, Kiev residents remain concerned that what scientists called fog is actually smog. Student Tetyana, wearing a protective mask outdoors, expressed fear that air pollution in the capital reached dangerous levels and can only compete with China.
Ukrainian Health Ministry said earlier they commissioned three independent labs to probe the air. All three confirmed no changes in the air composition in the capital.
Weather forecaster Vladyslav Bilyk told Reuters fog will last until Tuesday.
(Production: Serhiy Karazy, Vitaliy Yalaguzyan, Margaryta Chornokondratenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None