- Title: USA-BERLIN WALL Segment of Berlin Wall arrives in Washington
- Date: 13th August 2015
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (AUGUST 13, 2015) (REUTERS) WIDE, SECTION OF BERLIN WALL BEING DISMOUNTED CLOSEUP OF CONSTRUCTION WORKER CONSTRUCTION WORKERS HANDLING THE BIG SECTION OF THE BERLIN WALL, PLACING IT PAN OF THE WALL AND ALL THE SIGNATURES ON IT CLOSE OF SIGNATURES AND DR. ANGELA MERKEL'S SIGNATURE WIDE OF PEOPLE TAKING PHOTOS VARIOUS MORE SIGNATURES WIDE OF WALL AND PEOPLE WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 28th August 2015 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA4PFY0LX3E50HH3L1FFRNVZA9N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
A segment of the historic Berlin Wall was delivered to the State Department Thursday (August 13), on the 54th anniversary of the closure of the border from East to West Berlin on August 13, 1961.
The unique wall has been signed by various individuals who played key roles at the time, including former U.S. President George H. W. Bush, former leader of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev, former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, former Polish President and Solidarity leader Lech Walesa, current German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and former U.S. Secretary of State James A. Baker.
The wall is to be installed in in the U.S. Diplomacy Center, which is a museum and education center, currently under construction. The center will aim to tell the story of American diplomacy through interactive exhibits, compelling artifacts, hands-on education programs, diplomatic simulations, and the expertise of foreign affairs specialists.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None