- Title: Israel welcomes U.S. settlement move, Palestinians outraged
- Date: 18th November 2019
- Summary: RAS KARKAR, WEST BANK (FILE - 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS TRYING TO STOP GIANT JACKHAMMER FROM DIGGING TO SET THE GROUND FOR A JEWISH SETTLEMENT IN THE WEST BANK
- Embargoed: 2nd December 2019 21:06
- Keywords: Israel Settlements Pompeo Netanyahu Erekat
- Location: JERUSALEM/ JERICHO, RAS KARKAR, BEITAR ILIT, RAMAT SHLOMO, WEST BANK
- City: JERUSALEM/ JERICHO, RAS KARKAR, BEITAR ILIT, RAMAT SHLOMO, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B62EDZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Israel praised a U.S. decision on Monday (November 18) to soften its position on Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank, a move that upset the Palestinians who said it contradicts international law.
U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said U.S. statements about the settlements on the West Bank - which Israel captured during a 1967 war - had been inconsistent, saying Democrat President Jimmy Carter in 1978 found they were not consistent with international law and Republican President Ronald Reagan in 1981 said he did not view them as inherently illegal.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the U.S. decision "rights a historical wrong," and called on other countries to take a similar stance.
Palestinian Chief Negotiator Saeb Erekat added that "this is turning the international community from the rules of international law, the rules of solving conflicts by peaceful means into the rules of the jungle."
(Production: Adel Abu Nemeh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None