- Title: Hong Kong protesters ask UK to revoke Joint Declaration
- Date: 11th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PROTESTERS WAVING BRITISH AND HONG KONG COLONIAL FLAGS OUTSIDE BRITISH CONSULATE IN HONG KONG PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "TO OUR MPS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" RALLY ONGOING PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (English and Chinese): "END JOINT DECLARATION, JOIN COMMONWEALTH NATION - HONG KONG INDEPENDENCE PARTY" VARIOUS OF RALLY ORGANISERS HANDING PETITION TO REPRESENTATIVE OF THE BRITISH CONSULATE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "NO 1 COUNTRY 2 SYSTEMS, BE 54TH COMMONWEALTH NATION" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 24-YEAR-OLD PROTESTER GIVING HIS NAME AS MR K, SAYING: "The Chinese just keep crossing the line. And they do not respect the Joint Declaration, they do not respect the One Country-Two Systems, so I think we have to just kick the Chinese out." VARIOUS OF BRITISH FLAGS WAVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) 31-YEAR-OLD PROTESTER GIVING HIS NAME AS PANZER CHAN, AN OFFICE CLERK, SAYING: "It (the UK) should also help tackle the humanitarian crisis in Hong Kong, and also render any necessary assistance to Hong Kong people." BRITISH FLAGS WAVING RALLY ORGANIZERS SPEAKING ON STAGE PROTESTERS SITTING ON FLOOR LISTENING PRINTED BRITISH FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (English) 20-YEAR-OLD PROTESTER GIVING HIS NAME AS MR H, SAYING: "So, we hope the UK government can act now, to terminate the joint declaration, so Hong Kong can re-join the Commonwealth of Nations." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BRITISH FLAGS
- Embargoed: 25th December 2019 14:10
- Keywords: British Consulate China Hong Kong Sino-British Joint Declaration United Kingdom
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B9J5IKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several dozens of protesters, many of them wearing masks, rallied outside the British Consulate in Hong Kong on Wednesday (December 11) to ask the United Kingdom to declare China in breach of the Joint Declaration over its handling of Hong Kong and allow it to re-join the Commonwealth.
The rally participants handed a petition to a representative of the British Consulate shortly at the beginning of the rally stating their demands.
The Sino-British Joint Declaration, signed in 1984 by then British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Chinese Premier Zhao Ziyang, laid out how Britain would end its century-and-a-half long rule over Hong Kong. It also guarantees the city's rights and freedoms under the "one country-two systems" formula. Some protesters have alleged that China has reneged on some of its promises.
"The Chinese just keep crossing the line," said one rally participant, giving his name as Mr. K. "I think we have to just kick the Chinese out."
(Production: Minwoo Park, Aleksander Solum, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None