- Title: Lion cubs, leopard seized in smuggling attempt in Indonesia
- Date: 16th December 2019
- Summary: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LION CUBS IN CAGE CHILD TOUCHING LION CUB LEOPARD CUB IN CAGE POLICE SEATED FOR NEWS CONFERENCE, TWO SUSPECTS (IN ORANGE) STANDING BEHIND, INDIAN STAR TORTOISES IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS IN FRONT OF TABLE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) RIAU POLICE CHIEF, AGUNG SETYA IMAM EFFENDI, SAYING: "We made the first arrest at 3:20 a.m. (2020 GMT December 14) on Riau street. We ambushed the suspects who had 58-star tortoises, four lion cubs and one leopard cub. The suspects are standing behind us. As you know, possession or trafficking or trading endangered wildlife is illegal and carries a jail sentence of up to 10 years." FACE OF LION CUB LION CUB IN CAGE PAW OF LION CUB (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) RIAU POLICE CHIEF, AGUNG SETYA IMAM EFFENDI, SAYING: "We also found three orangutans, two male and one female, in one cage, that (the smugglers) planned to send out of Riau province." VARIOUS OF POLICE HOLDING LION CUB VARIOUS LION CUBS IN CAGE POLICE CARRYING ORANGUTAN IN CAGE
- Embargoed: 30th December 2019 12:45
- Keywords: Indonesia leopard lion smuggling tortoise wildlife
- Location: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife
- Reuters ID: LVA001BA85KQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Indonesian police on Sunday (December 15) said they had detained two people for the suspected smuggling of wild animals.
Riau Police Chief Agung Setya Imam Effendi said police thwarted the plan to smuggle four African lion cubs, one leopard cub, 58 Indian Star tortoises and three orangutans on Saturday (December 14).
Poaching and the illegal trade in wildlife remain rampant in Indonesia, despite efforts by authorities to crack down. Under Indonesian law, poachers can be jailed for up to 10 years and fined up to 200 million rupiah ($14,200).
(Production: Heru Asprihanto, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None