- Title: Kurds protest against Erdogan at UN's Global Forum on Refugees
- Date: 17th December 2019
- Summary: KURDISH DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "KILLER, ERDOGAN NOT WELCOME" / PICTURE OF KURDISH PARLIAMENTARIAN, HAVRIN KHALAF, KILLED IN SYRIA IN OCTOBER PICTURE OF KHALAF
- Embargoed: 31st December 2019 13:23
- Keywords: Erdogan Global Forum on Refugees in Geneva Kurdish Kurds Turkey UNHCR
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA003BAD6MH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of Kurds from the diaspora and pro-Kurdish demonstrators gathered outside the United Nations in Geneva on Tuesday (December 17) to protest against Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan's participation at the Global Refugee Forum.
Around 150 protesters chanted slogans to denounce Erdogan's policies, holding signs reading "Erdogan not welcome" and "your silence makes HitlErdogan stronger."
Turkish forces launched an offensive which demonstrators said was a "genocide" into northern Syria on October 9 to drive Kurdish militia away from the border region.
The military operation was widely condemned by Turkey's NATO allies which said it had caused a fresh humanitarian crisis in Syria's eight-year conflict and could let Islamic State prisoners held by the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia escape and regroup.
(Production: CÃ©cile Mantovani / Marina Depetris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.