- Title: Tourists disappointed as Hong Kong cancels New Year's fireworks
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - JANUARY 1, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE PREVIOUS NEW YEAR'S FIREWORKS
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 11:29
- Keywords: Hong Kong annual celebrations city fireworks security tourists
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA / INTERNET
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA / INTERNET
- Country: China
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAI4093
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tourists expressed disappointment on Wednesday (December 18) over the cancellation of Hong Kong's popular New Year's Eve fireworks due to security concerns amid more than six months of protests.
The fireworks usually draw thousands of locals and tourists to the picturesque Victoria Harbour and the countdown is broadcast worldwide.
Sparked by a controversial and now-withdrawn extradition bill, the ongoing protests in the former British colony have crippled the tourism and retail sectors, with several high-profile cultural and sporting events cancelled in recent months.
The fireworks will be replaced with a "Symphony of Lights", a multimedia light show, involving projections on the city's tallest skyscrapers at the stroke of midnight, tourism officials said. The facade of the waterside Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre will be turned into a giant countdown clock.
(Production: Mehmet Caliskan, Ronn Bautista)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.