- Title: Tourists disappointed as Hong Kong cancels New Year's fireworks
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) HONG KONG JUNK SHIP SAILING THROUGH VICTORIA HARBOUR TOURISTS ALONG TSIM SHA TSUI PROMENADE (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM PHILIPPINES, JOSE GADING, SAYING: "As a tourist I'm kinda sad because I think it's every year that people are expecting the New Year's festival and everything, but I do understand. If it's for the safety of everyone, I think it's good. Itâ€™s better to postpone or cancel it." TSIM SHA TSUI PROMENADE/ HONG KONG CITY SKYLINE VARIOUS OF HONG KONG CITY SKYLINE (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM ARGENTINA, LUCIA, SAYING: "But I believe maybe it's not going to be good for the tourism. It's going to affect the tourists, but on the other hand I think it's, I don't know, if the town is expecting fireworks because it's a custom and a tradition, it's not good for them either. I don't think the protesters are going to be affected like emotionally. They're going to keep on protesting I believe, so yeah." BOAT SAILING THROUGH VICTORIA HARBOUR VARIOUS OF TOURISTS STROLLING ALONG TSIM SHA TSUI PROMENADE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) JAPANESE LIVING IN HONG KONG AS OFFICE WORKER, HATSUDA MUNEHISA, SAYING: "I am very disappointed there is no New Year fireworks, but I can understand because there are too many things happening in Hong Kong now. As the youths are in support of a better future for themselves, they have attended the protest activities. So I can understand their protests. So I think there is no choice but to cancel the fireworks." BOATS SAILING THROUGH VICTORIA HARBOUR HONG KONG CITY SKYLINE TOURISTS ALONG TSIM SHA TSUI PROMENADE INTERNET (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) (MUTE) SCREEN CAPTURE FROM HONG KONG TOURISM BOARD'S EMAIL ANNOUNCING THE CANCELLATION OF NEW YEAR'S FIREWORKS
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 11:29
- Keywords: Hong Kong annual celebrations city fireworks security tourists
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA / INTERNET
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA / INTERNET
- Country: China
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAI4093
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tourists expressed disappointment on Wednesday (December 18) over the cancellation of Hong Kong's popular New Year's Eve fireworks due to security concerns amid more than six months of protests.
The fireworks usually draw thousands of locals and tourists to the picturesque Victoria Harbour and the countdown is broadcast worldwide.
Sparked by a controversial and now-withdrawn extradition bill, the ongoing protests in the former British colony have crippled the tourism and retail sectors, with several high-profile cultural and sporting events cancelled in recent months.
The fireworks will be replaced with a "Symphony of Lights", a multimedia light show, involving projections on the city's tallest skyscrapers at the stroke of midnight, tourism officials said. The facade of the waterside Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre will be turned into a giant countdown clock.
(Production: Mehmet Caliskan, Ronn Bautista)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None