- Title: Chinese and Hong Kong fans face off at soccer tournament
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF STADIUM WHERE HONG KONG-CHINA SOCCER MATCH TOOK PLACE VARIOUS OF HONG KONG SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE STADIUM AND CHANTING VARIOUS OF SOCCER FAN HOLDING HONG KONG FLAG HONG KONG SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTER SPEAKING THROUGH MICROPHONE AND WEARING JERSEY READING (Korean): "ACCEPT 5 DEMANDS" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 21-YEAR-OLD HONG KONG STUDENT, BEN WAN, SAYING: "And I think the games against China are much more important than the previous two because you know in Hong Kong there is political cleavage it is becoming more and more serious so I think the conflicts between China and Hong Kong can be shown in the stadiums in the pitch, so I think that it's much more important." VARIOUS OF SOCCER FANS GATHERED OUTSIDE STADIUM VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT TICKET BOOTH SOCCER FANS WALKING CHINESE FLAG INSIDE BACKPACK OF SOCCER FAN CHINESE SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTERS HOLDING CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG AND CHANTING CHINESE SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTER HOLDING CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG CHINESE SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTER PUTTING CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG AROUND CHILD (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTER, ZHANG HUI, SAYING: "We have specially come from the mainland to cheer China on. In this match, we believe that it's one China, two teams; one country, two systems. Go China!" ENTRANCE OF STADIUM SOUTH KOREAN POLICE OFFICERS WALKING FENCES OUTSIDE STADIUM SIGN ON FENCE ABOUT STADIUM SECURITY EXTERIOR OF STADIUM PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE STADIUM AFTER HONG KONG-CHINA MATCH (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG SOCCER TEAM SUPPORTER, WHOSE SURNAME IS SO, SAYING: "Of course, we might be a bit disappointed about the score but actually I think the (Hong Kong) team has done very well and we got some dangerous attack and we hit the post at the first half once. So, I think the performance is acceptable but of course we hope if we can draw or win it will be better." POLICE OFFICERS WALKING PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE STADIUM
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 11:28
- Keywords: Busan China Hong Kong South Korea fans protest soccer
- Location: BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA
- City: BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAI411J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong soccer fans travelled to South Korea's port city of Busan on Wednesday (December 18) to watch their team's tournament against China as the political turmoil that has gripped the former British colony spilled over to the sports world.
Hong Kong, designated the home side for Wednesday's match in the four-team tournament that also includes hosts South Korea and Japan, were dressed all in red and turned to face their bauhinia flag when the national anthem began. They booed as the Chinese national anthem was played.
The Korea Football Association said it had taken steps to ensure there were no banners bearing political messages at the Busan Asiad Stadium, where nearly 200 Hong Kong fans chanted and banged drums to drown out a tiny pocket of Chinese supporters. China won the game 2-0.
Hong Kong has been rocked by six months of mass demonstrations, with protesters angered by what they see as Beijing's stifling of freedoms despite a "one country, two systems" promise of autonomy when the city returned to Chinese rule in 1997. China rejects the suggestion it is interfering in Hong Kong and blames Western countries for inciting the trouble.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None