- Title: Macau gears up for Chinese leader Xiâ€™s visit as Hong Kong seethes
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: MACAU, CHINA (DECEMBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MACAU SKYLINE RED BANNER WITH TEXT (Chinese): "WARMLY WELCOME PRESIDENT XI JINPING'S VISIT TO MACAU" MACAU TOWER AT THE WATERFRONT BANNER WRITING (Chinese/ English): "20TH ANNIVERSARY" VARIOUS OF TOURISTS AND RESIDENTS WALKING MACAU RESIDENT, MISS CHEUNG, DRINKING MILK TEA IN LOCAL RESTAURANT (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 73-YEAR-OLD MACAU RESIDENT, MISS CHEUNG, SAYING: "To be honest Macau is the best, better than Hong Kong. Hong Kong has been taken over by those rioters and we are all affected. My son is in Hong Kong and it's hard to make a living. His life was badly affected. Why did they not accept such good policies and run the city so badly. Did they ever consider that the old generation would be worried?" VARIOUS OF CHEUNG EATING INTERIOR OF RESTAURANT (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 73-YEAR-OLD MACAU RESIDENT, MISS CHEUNG, SAYING: "In the past, people were not concerned about which government was in charge, but now with the current administration, everyone here has a good livelihood. And China is the most wealthy country in the word. The U.S. does not want China to overshadow it. So they tried to crack down on China and Hong Kong. Macau is different from Hong Kong, so the U.S. can't step into Macau." VARIOUS OF LOCAL STREETS LOCAL RESTAURANT OWNER, REX TO, STANDING AT ENTRANCE CUSTOMERS EATING (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 55-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESTAURANT OWNER, REX TO, SAYING: "Time flies, it has been 20 years since Macau handover back to Chinese rule. Of course, I am very happy. I've witnessed Macau's development from a place no one knows. I believe nowadays many foreigners will know about Macau."
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 04:48
- Keywords: 20th anniversary China Macau Xi Jinping handover
- Location: MACAU, CHINA
- City: MACAU, CHINA
- Country: Macau
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAI3RK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The gambling hub of Macau gears up on Wednesday (December 18) for China's President Xi Jinping's visit to the city and a ceremony marking the 20th anniversary of its handover to China.
Xi will kick off his three-day visit to the former Portuguese colony, where he is expected to announce a slew of supportive policies, widely seen as a reward for Macau's stability and loyalty, unlike the former British colony of Hong Kong, which has been rocked by anti-government protests for six months.
Some Macau residents told Reuters they were excited about Xi's visit and expressed their objections towards the recent social unrest in Hong Kong.
Macau returned to Chinese rule on Dec. 20, 1999 with the same "one country, two systems" formula aimed at preserving autonomy under which Hong Kong is governed.
(Production: Joyce Zhou)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None