- Title: Timeline of Macau politics ahead of 20th anniversary handover to Chinese rule
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: China and Portugal held talks on March 19 in 1999 to iron out the final details of the handover of Macau to Beijing in December -- ending more than 400 years of colonial rule of the tiny enclave. MACAU (FILE - MARCH 19, 1999) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF MEETING VENUE THEN CHINESE VICE-PREMIER QIAN QICHEN SITTING THEN PORTUGUESE PRESIDENT JORGE SAMPAIO SITTING MEETING IN PROGRESS TRAFFIC ON STREET
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 02:32
- Keywords: China Macau Portugal President Xi Jinping anniversary handover
- Location: MACAU/ MACAU, BEIJING, ZHUHAI, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA/ LISBON, PORTUGAL
- City: MACAU/ MACAU, BEIJING, ZHUHAI, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA/ LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Country: Macau
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002BAIWK7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Chinese territory of Macau is set to celebrate the former Portuguese colony's 20-year anniversary of its handover to Chinese rule on Friday (December 20).
Macau was returned to China in December of 1999, ending almost 450 years of Portuguese rule.
Later this week, Chinese President Xi Jinping is scheduled to visit Macau to announce a raft of new policies aimed at diversifying the city's casino-dependent economy into a financial centre, according to over a dozen interviews with officials and corporate executives.
The move is seen by officials and executives in Macau as a reward for having avoided the anti-government protests that have gripped nearby Hong Kong over the past six months.
Xi's trip comes as the central government has praised the city for upholding the "one country, two systems" framework that governs both Hong Kong and Macau.
(Production: Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None