- Title: Britain's Prince Philip, 98, taken to hospital as a precaution
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF KING EDWARD VII HOSPITAL HOSPITAL SIGN EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 14:52
- Keywords: Prince Philip admission hospital royals
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS3PL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's Prince Philip, the 98-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was taken to hospital on Friday (December 20) as a precaution for treatment of an existing condition, Buckingham Palace said.
Philip, whose official title is the Duke of Edinburgh, travelled from the royal family's Sandringham home in Norfolk, eastern England, to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment, the palace said in a statement.
"The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness' Doctor," it said.
A royal source said it was not an emergency admission and that the prince had been able to walk into the hospital.
Philip, who has been at his wife's side throughout her record-breaking 67 years on the throne, retired from public life in August 2017 although he has occasionally appeared at official engagements since.
(Production: Edward Baran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None