- Title: Indian PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart in New Delhi
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER ANTONIO COSTA WALKING WITH HIS INDIAN COUNTERPART NARENDRA MODI/COSTA AND MODI SHAKING HANDS MEMORIAL OF INDIAN FREEDOM FIGHTER MAHATMA GANDHI COSTA WALKING WITH DIGNITARIES COSTA LAYING WREATH AT THE MEMORIAL COSTA PAYING TRIBUTE INSCRIPTION ON THE MEMORIAL READING (Hindi): 'HEY RAM' VARIOUS OF COSTA SIGNING ON VISITOR'S BOOK COSTA RECEIVING BUST OF GANDHI COSTA RECEIVING A SCROLL ON 'SEVEN SOCIAL SINS'
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 13:53
- Keywords: Antonio Costa Delhi Mahatma Gandhi Narendra Modi Portugal bilateral relations
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN7MFJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa on Thursday (December 19) in New Delhi even as protests over citizenship act rocked the Indian capital.
The Indian capital on Thursday saw massive demonstrations in every part of the city, in defiance of a ban on public gatherings.
Modi has dug his heels in over the law that lays out a path for people from minority religions in neighbouring Muslim countries - Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan - who had settled in India before 2015 to obtain Indian citizenship.
Costa, who made India his first foreign visit after re-election, also visited the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi and paid tribute to the iconic freedom fighter.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None