- Title: Indian court hands life term to ex-lawmaker for rape
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (RECENT - DECEMBER 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE IN THE PREMISES OF A DELHI COURT NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LAWYER, POONAM KAUSHIK, SAYING: "Mainly they (the Supreme Court) stressed on the fact that because he is a lawmaker and holds a public office and that too an office where people choose their representativeâ€¦therefore the people's representative (lawmaker) has more responsibility (towards) the public. And this is why, while deciding the limit and the maximum quantum of the punishment, all these elements should be kept in mind. And concurring this, honourable judge sentenced him (Kuldeep Singh Sengar) for life imprisonment." LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (FILE - APRIL 14, 2018) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) RAPE CONVICT AND EX-LAWMAKER FROM NORTHERN UTTAR PRADESH STATE, KULDEEP SINGH SENGAR COMING OUT OF A CAR, SURROUNDED WITH MEDIA PERSONS PEOPLE AND POLICE STANDING AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE CENTRAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION COURT WITH A BOARD READING (Hindi): "ANTI CORRUPTION COURT (C.B.I.) SENGAR DESCENDING THE STAIRS OF THE COURT WITH POLICEMEN AND OTHERS POLICEMEN CLEARING WAY FOR SENGAR'S CAR LEAVING COURT PREMISES/ SENGAR SITTING INSIDE THE CAR WITH FOLDED HANDS AS MEDIA PERSONS CLICK HIS PICTURES UNNAO, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (RECENT - DECEMBER 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SIGNBOARD AT SENGAR'S RESIDENCE POLICE OFFICIALS STANDING
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 13:36
- Keywords: Bharatiya Janata Party Kuldeep Singh Sengar Lawmaker Narendra Modi Rape Unnao
- Location: NEW DELHI, UNNAO, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, UNNAO, LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAS4FNZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A court sentenced a former lawmaker from India's ruling party to life imprisonment for raping a teenager, victim's counsel said on Friday (December 20) the highest-ranking Indian politician to get such a significant jail term in recent years.
Kuldeep Singh Sengar, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, was convicted earlier this week under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act. Sengar, who was later expelled from the party, had pleaded not guilty.
The court in Delhi also fined him 2.5 million rupees ($35,000), victim's lawyer Poonam Kaushik added.
The case gained nationwide attention last year when the accuser, who was a teenager in 2017 when she says she was raped, tried to kill herself, accusing the police of inaction.
In July, a truck crashed into a car she was traveling in. Two of her relatives were killed and she was injured. Since then the family has been provided with security.
Her case was the latest in a country where sexual violence against women is unabated despite enacting some of the world's toughest laws.
Public outrage has been mounting over the lack of speedy justice for victims.
Sengar is expected to appeal against the decision at the Delhi High Court, his lawyer said, and the case can run for years in Indian courts. ($1 = 71.1496 Indian rupees)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None