- Title: Tunisian orphans treated to Christmas celebration
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: TUNIS, TUNISIA (DECEMBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) DECORATED CHRISTMAS TREE AT CHRISTMAS MARKET HELD TO ENTERTAIN ORPHANS GIFTS UNDER CHRISTMAS TREE VARIOUS OF CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS PEOPLE SELLING THEIR WORK AT BAZAAR CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS CHILDREN AND WOMAN STANDING IN FRONT OF PILE OF GIFTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ORGANISER AND EDITOR IN CHIEF OF FEMMES MAGREBINES MAGAZINE, NESRINE BEN KHADIJA, SAYING: "So the idea came to us to make the children happy and also for us to be happy with them. We have a craft exhibition, as you can see; books and chocolates in a festive atmosphere. We have decorated a Christmas tree, which is actually an olive tree. We also started a donation call. It's a special donation because it was in a form of gifts. Parents and their kids also came and put their gifts under the tree." CHRISTMAS DECORATION WITH TUNISIAN FLAG ON IT CHRISTMAS GIFTS CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS SELLERS DURING BAZAAR CHILDREN IN FRONT OF BOOTH CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PRESIDENT OF SOS VILLAGE, AMEL KMICHA, SAYING: "We have four villages; one in Tunis, Siliana village, Mahres village and Akouda village. We have more than 400 kids in the villages, and we also have another project to support families. We are taking care of almost 1,000 children." DECORATED CHRISTMAS TREE, ORNAMENTS ON TABLE FAMILIES AT CHRISTMAS MARKET FAMILIES AND CHILDREN AT CHRISTMAS MARKET SELLER WOODEN TOYS ON DISPLAY VARIOUS OF CHILDREN PLAYING WITH WOODEN TOYS (SOUNDBITE) (French) ORGANISER AND PRESIDENT OF BE TOUNSI ASSOCIATION, FATEN ABDELKEFI, SAYING: "We were very happy to organise this event with our partner Femmes Magrebines (North African Women magazine). They invited us to do this. We did everything for the cause of the village and its children who really need help and support. We wanted to give them a little dream too on the occasion of the end of year celebrations. We are then going to help with all the money collected in this event." PEOPLE PUTTING MONEY IN DONATION BOX VARIOUS OF WOMAN AND CHILDREN DURING HANDICRAFT CLASS PEOPLE AT CHRISTMAS MARKET CHRISTMAS PRESENTS UNDER TREE WOMAN WEARING SANTA HAT DONATION BOX ON TABLE SIGN READING (French): "SOS children village Tunisia. No child should grow up without a family" CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 09:35
- Keywords: Christmas Christmas in Tunisia Christmas season Orphans celebrating Christmas Tunis Tunisia
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAX3HI1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Christmas market in the Tunisian capital was the perfect year-end treat for hundreds of orphan children celebrating the holiday festivities.
The event was organised to raise funds to support orphans, and also offered the opportunity for visitors to donate wrapped gifts to children, placing them under a large olive Christmas tree at the heart of the market.
Local retailers and craftsmen were also selling their handmade work, including books, sweets and other products at the market.
Christmas carols echoed in the background as children participated in handicrafts workshops and other activities.
Approximately 1,000 orphan children are currently under the care of SOS villages, distributed in four different residences across Tunisia, according to Amel Kmicha from the organisation.
The event was organised by the magazine Femmes Magrebines, in partnership with the Be Tounsi Association in SOS village at the Gammarth residence in Tunis.
(Production: Jihed Abdellaoui, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None