- Title: Banksy brings war-scarred manger scene to Bethlehem
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE GENERAL MANAGER OF THE 'WALLED OFF' HOTEL, WISAM SALSA, ORGANISING FIGURINES OF ART DISPLAY OF THE NATIVITY SCENE BY STREET ARTIST BANKSY
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 13:35
- Keywords: Banksy Bethlehem Christmas Israel Palestinians West Bank West Bank wall art manger nativity scene
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB242MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British street artist Banksy has brought a sombre Christmas spirit to a hotel he founded in Bethlehem, with a manger scene invoking the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
Dubbed "Scar of Bethlehem", the display features a miniature Jesus, Mary and Joseph under a shell-pocked rendition of Israel's concrete West Bank barrier.
It is located in The Walled Off Hotel, which abuts the real barrier and which the secretive Banksy opened in 2017.
The theme of Nativity scene taking place with the barrier as a backdrop has been featured in art works and commodities since the barrier was erected.
Israel says the barrier that cuts through the West Bank is a bulwark against Palestinian suicide bombers. Palestinians see it as a symbol of oppression that takes up land they want for a state.
Meanwhile, hundreds of tourists from the region and elsewhere flocked to Manger Square, where they took selfies with traditional nativity scene on display just outside of the Church of the Nativity, revered as the birthplace of Jesus.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.