- Title: Strong wind and huge waves batter northern coast of Spain
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: LLANES, SPAIN (DECEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) WAVES CRASHING AGAINST CLIFFS AND "BUFONES DE PRIA" SPOUTING WATER UP INTO THE AIR ROUGH SEA AND WAVES HITS CLIFF-SIDE VARIOUS OF WAVES CRASHING AGAINST CLIFFS AND "BUFONES DE PRIA" SPOUTING WATER UP INTO THE AIR VARIOUS PEOPLE OBSERVING THE STORM AS WATER SHOOTS UP INTO THE AIR TOURISTS ON HILLSIDE OBSERVING THE ROUGH SEA VARIOUS OF WAVES AND ROUGH SEA VARIOUS OF WAVES CRASHING AGAINST CLIFFS AND "BUFONES DE PRIA" SPOUTING WATER UP INTO THE AIR ROUGH SEA OFF THE COAST
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 18:05
- Keywords: Asturias Bufones de Pria Fabien storm waves
- Location: LLANES, SPAIN
- City: LLANES, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB26C07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Storm Fabien battered the coast of northern Spain on Sunday (December 22) bringing with it powerful wind and huge waves as it made its way through the Iberian Peninsula.
By Sunday, Spain and Portugal had experienced two powerful storms in quick succession over a period of four days where at least eight people have lost their life and floods and severe wind has damaged trees and infrastructure leaving some residents without electricity.
The arrival of Storm Fabien on Saturday (December 21) brought a fresh round of high winds and heavy rainfall to the region, just as Storm Elsa, which hit the Iberian Peninsula on Wednesday (December 18), began to subside.
In Galicia and Asturias in northern Spain powerful waves crashed into the coastline.
Spain's civil defence agency said the latest front could bring winds of up to 140 km per hour (85 mph) and waves of up to 9 meters (30 feet), to the country's northwest Atlantic coast.
At the Bufones de Pria in Asturias, waves six to seven metres high crashed into the cliffs and the Bufones de Pria, geyser-like rock structures, spouted huge columns of pulverized sea-water into the air creating a spectacle for tourists in the area.
(Production: Eloy Alonso, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None