- Title: Over 250 fatherless brides marry in mass wedding in India
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GROOM SITTING WITH OTHERS MARRIAGE REGISTER BRIDE SIGNING A PAPER BRIDE TALKING TO PRIEST BRIDES SITTING WITH MEN MEN BLESSING BRIDES (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) SOCIAL REFORMER AND ORGANIZER, MAHESHBHAI SAVANI, SAYING: "Till date, 2,721 daughters have been married." BRIDE AND GROOM TAKING PICTURES / STANDING BRIDES AND GROOMS STANDING SAVANI BLESSING BRIDES
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 10:59
- Keywords: Gujarat Surat bride groom marriage mass wedding
- Location: SURAT, GUJARAT, INDIA
- City: SURAT, GUJARAT, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA004BB23QRZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As many of 271 fatherless brides tied the knot at a mass-wedding ceremony on Saturday (December 21) in western Surat city.
Brides dressed in crimson attire, donning jewellery sat with their grooms and performed wedding rituals according to different traditions.
Organizer, Maheshbhai Savani, marked his ninth anniversary with this year's celebrations. He said till date, 2,721 girls, belonging from various communities, were married under the function.
Mass weddings are becoming very popular, especially among the economically backward sections of Indian society, as these reduce the worries of financial implications among the parents or guardians of the brides. Conventionally, the family of a bride in India is expected to bear the expenses of a lavish wedding and also give 'dowry' to the bridegroom deemed as gifts to the bride which could be in cash or kind.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None