- Title: Khashoggi killing: Saudi Arabia sentences five to death
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (FILE - OCTOBER 2, 2018) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) (MUTE) VIDEO SHOWING PEOPLE ENTERING CONSULATE BUILDING, TWO HIGHLIGHTED IN RED CIRCLES, CAPTION READING (Turkish): "TWO MEN ENTERING CONSULATE, TIME: 11.03" CCTV FOOTAGE PURPORTEDLY SHOWING JAMAL KHASHOGGI ENTERING CONSULATE BUILDING
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 11:27
- Keywords: Saudi sentences people for murder death sentence for Khashoggi killing sentencing over Khashoggi murder
- Location: RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA / ISTANBUL, TURKEY / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA / ISTANBUL, TURKEY / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002BB75EMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Saudi Arabia on Monday (December 23) sentenced five people to death and three more to jail terms totalling 24 years over the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul in October last year.
Saudi Deputy Public Prosecutor and spokesman Shalaan al-Shalaan, reading out the verdict in the trial, said the court dismissed charges against the remaining three of the 11 people that had been on trial, finding them not guilty.
Shalaan said the investigation showed the killing was "not premeditated" and occurred at the "spur of the moment."
He told reporters the investigation found no evidence to charge Saud al-Qahtani, a former high-profile Saudi royal adviser, who had discussed Khashoggi's activities with the team which went on to kill him.
Khashoggi was a U.S. resident and critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the kingdom's de facto ruler. He was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, where he had gone to receive papers ahead of his wedding. His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building, and his remains have not been found.
The killing caused a global uproar, tarnishing the crown prince's image. The CIA and some Western governments have said they believe Prince Mohammed ordered the killing, but Saudi officials say he had no role.
The investigation into eleven Saudi suspects was undertaken in secret. The names of those convicted have not been released.
(Production: Nael Shyoukhi, Fintan McDonnell)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None