- Title: Christians across India attend midnight mass on Christmas
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: PRIEST GIVING SERMON PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE CHURCH VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LIGHTING CANDLES PEOPLE PRAYING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DELHI RESIDENT, SAUMIL, SAYING: "I am very excited for Christmas. This is a very nice decoration here at the temple of Jesus. I believe that all religions are one, I am feeling good here although I am a Hindu."
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 06:50
- Keywords: Christmas December Delhi Goa India Mumbai holiday season midnight mass prayers
- Location: PANAJI, GOA/NEW DELHI/ CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: PANAJI, GOA/NEW DELHI/ CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA006BBH3RRJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Christian devouts across India attended midnight mass on the occasion of Christmas festival on Wednesday (December 25).
People thronged illuminated and decorated church where they prayed, listened to carols and sermons and lighted candles to mark the occasion.
India's tourist hub of Goa was seen to be the most festive as locals as well as tourists crowded ancient churches across the city and listened to the gospels in Konkani language.
Priests in Chennai also made the sermons in local Tamil language. Similar fervour was seen across the Indian cities.
Christians make up around two percent of India's 1.2 billion strong population with its largest concentration in the southern and north-eastern states.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None