- Title: Brazilian comedy group hit by Molotov cocktails after film on 'gay Jesus'
- Date: 25th December 2019
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (DECEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BUILDING WHERE ATTACK REPORTEDLY TOOK PLACE WINDOWS AT BUILDING MEDIA AT BUILDING DOOR TO BUILDING DAMAGE TO BUILDING EXTERIOR VARIOUS OF CAMERAS AT BUILDING EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 8th January 2020 21:52
- Keywords: Brazil Christmas Jesus LGBT Netflix Rio de Janeiro attack media
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBH32H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Molotov cocktails were thrown at the headquarters of Brazilian comedy group Porta dos Fundos in Rio de Janeiro on Christmas Eve (December 24), weeks after the group launched a film on Netflix depicting Jesus as gay.
The group's Christmas special, "The First Temptation of Christ," a 46-minute comedy that portrays Jesus bringing home his presumed boyfriend Orlando to meet the Holy Family, prompted around 2 million people to sign a petition calling on the streaming service to remove the show because it offended Christians.
The sketch group said a security guard managed to contain the fire at its headquarters and no one was hurt.
State police in Rio did not immediately respond to a request for comments. Netflix declined to comment.
Brazil is home to the world's largest Catholic community as well as a fast-expanding evangelical community with increasing political influence.
President Jair Bolsonaro, who has described himself as a "proud" homophobe, once told an interviewer he would rather have a dead son than a gay son. Earlier this year he suspended funding for a series of films, including a handful with LGBT+ themes. The decision was later struck down by a federal court.
(Production: Sergio Queiroz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None