- Title: Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth's husband, leaves hospital in time for Christmas
- Date: 20th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JUNE 3, 2012) (REUTERS) ROYAL BARGE AND FLOTILLA ON RIVER THAMES FOR QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS QUEEN ELIZABETH, PRINCE PHILIP, PRINCE CHARLES AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL PARTY WAVING FROM DECK OF ROYAL BARGE CROWD WAVING FLAGS QUEEN ELIZABETH, PRINCE PHILIP AND PRINCE CHARLES WATCHING FLOTILLA FROM DECK OF ROYAL BARGE FLOTILLA SAILING PAST CROWDS LINING BANKS OF RIVER THAMES, CITY OF LONDON SKYLINE IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 3rd January 2020 15:04
- Keywords: Britain Prince Philip Queen Queen Elizabeth Royals
- Location: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- City: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA00MBASQLON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3 AND CONTAINS WHAT APPEARS TO BE PROFANITY IN SHOT 102
Britain's Prince Philip, the 98-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was released from a London hospital on Tuesday (December 24) and joined other members of the royal family for their Christmas celebrations.
Philip, whose official title is the Duke of Edinburgh, had been receiving treatment at the King Edward VII Hospital since Friday.
He walked out of the hospital on Tuesday morning, dressed in a dark suit, and shook hands with a nurse before getting into the front passenger seat of a car and being driven away.
The prince then traveled by helicopter to Sandringham estate in eastern England where the royal family traditionally gathers for Christmas.
"The Duke of Edinburgh has today left hospital after being discharged by his doctor and is now back at Sandringham. His Royal Highness would like to thank everyone who sent their good wishes," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Philip had been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure for treatment for a pre-existing condition, the palace said on Friday (December 20).
Philip retired from public life in August 2017, although he has occasionally appeared at official engagements since.
He spent Christmas of 2011 in hospital after an operation to clear a blocked artery and he missed the end of celebrations to mark his wife's 60th year on the throne in 2012 after being hospitalized with a bladder infection.
In 2013, the Greek-born former naval officer underwent "an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations."
He was admitted to hospital in 2017 for treatment for an infection, also arising from a pre-existing condition, and last year spent 10 days in hospital for hip-replacement surgery.
In January this year, the prince was unhurt when his Land Rover flipped over after a collision with another car near Sandringham. He gave up his driving license after police gave him a warning for driving without wearing a seat belt.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None