- Title: Tokyo 2020 to take measure after asbestos found at venue
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - AUGUST 7, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF TOKYO TATSUMI INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING CENTRE SIGN READING (English): "TOKYO TATSUMI INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING CENTRE" TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - FEBRUARY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) POOL AT TOKYO TATSUMI INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING CENTRE BANNER OF TOKYO 2020 OLYMPICS TOKYO TATSUMI INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING CENTRE
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 04:32
- Keywords: Japan Sports Tokyo Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics asbestos olympic venue swimming water polo
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC617WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tokyo 2020 organisers will take "emergency countermeasures" after asbestos was found at the water polo venue for next year's Games after initially opting against treating it when it was discovered two years ago, Asahi newspaper reported on Monday (December 30).
Asbestos, which was once widely used in fireproofing and insulation, has been linked to several health hazards including mesothelioma and other types of cancer. he Asahi report said the Tokyo government found the asbestos in fireproof material sprayed on part of the structure supporting the Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Centre's roof. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Tokyo 2020 were not immediately reachable for comment.
While Japanese construction industry regulations state asbestos should be removed or covered up, the Tokyo government deemed the amount not to be large in scale, in a stable condition and not accessible so decided to leave it, Asahi said.
The report is the latest headache for Tokyo 2020 organisers, who have faced concerns over elevated levels of bacteria in the water in Tokyo bay and how athletes will cope with sweltering summer heat, which has led the marathon event to be moved to the far northern city of Sapporo.
(Production: Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None