- Title: Tokyo's Nikkei closes down on final trading day of 2019
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (RECENT) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SIGN OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 09:27
- Keywords: 2019 Japan Nikkei 225 Stocks Tokyo Stock Exchange last day of trading market market close shares
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA002BC61BUT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japanese stocks ended slightly lower on the last trading day of the year on Monday (December 30) as investors booked profits ahead of New Year holidays, although the Nikkei average held near three-decade highs in dollar terms.
The Nikkei share average fell 0.76 percent to 23,656.62. On the year, the Nikkei was up 18.2% after a 12% drop in 2018, while the Topix was 15.2% higher after shedding nearly 18% in 2018.
The Nikkei in dollar terms, a more important gauge for foreign investors, stood at 216.80, near a peak of around 220 hit this month and not far from a 28-year high hit in 2018.
The stock exchange's CEO Akira Kiyota said the market was affected by many international events, highlighting the U.S. and China trade war, Hong Kong protests, and the cooling relationship between Japan and South Korea.
The Japanese financial market will be closed from Tuesday (December 31) through Friday (January 3) and is set to reopen next Monday (January 6).
(Production: Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None