- Title: South Koreaâ€™s star penguin Pengsoo rings bell to celebrate the New Year
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREAN CROWD GATHERED, SOME HOLDING UP MOBILE PHONE TORCHES, NEAR LARGE BELL PAVILION 'BOSINGAK' TO CELEBRATE NEW YEAR / GROUP INCLUDING SEOUL MAYOR, PARK WON-SOON (FAR LEFT), AND SOUTH KOREA'S FAMOUS PENGUIN CHARACTER, PENGSOO, TOLLING BELL VARIOUS OF PARK, PENGSOO AND OTHERS TOLLING THE BELL PENGSOO BOWING AND GIVING HIGH FIVE TO PARK, SOUTH KOREAN BASEBALL PLAYER HYUN-JIN RYU (CENTRE, WEARING BLACK COAT AND SCARF) PREPARING TO TOLL BELL VARIOUS OF CROWD VARIOUS OF GROUP TOLLING BELL (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 25-YEAR-OLD SOUTH KOREAN RESIDENT, NA HUN-JU, SAYING: "I think we can make a good relationship with North Korea by maintaining our government's current position. I also hope we have a good discussion with Trump to improve the relationship with North Korea." BELL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED FOR BELL TOLLING CEREMONY (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 21-YEAR-OLD SOUTH KOREA'S UNIVERSITY STUDENT, YU JIN-GYEONG, SAYING: "I came here for the first time to celebrate my last day as a 20-year-old. I hope to enjoy my university life more and to have variety in the Year of White Rat (2020) for my 21-year-old life." BANNER READING (English and Korean): "2020 HAPPY NEW YEAR / BELL TOLLING CEREMONY" PEOPLE GATHERING AT BOSINGAK BELL PAVILION
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 17:27
- Keywords: 2020 Hyun-jin Ryu Pengsoo Seoul South Korea bell celebration ceremony countdown new year
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB1ETJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of South Koreans gathered at Bosingak bell pavilion in central Seoul on Tuesday night (December 31), as they watched the city's mayor Park Won-soon, baseball player Hyun-jin Ryu and famous South Korean penguin YouTube character Pengsoo ring the bell.
Seoul Metropolitan Government invited 11 civic representatives including South Korean pitcher Hyun-jin Ryu, who recently signed with Canada's Toronto Blue Jays, to the traditional New Year celebration event, according to the city office.
Pengsoo, a mega-hit personality which introduces itself as a 10-year-old penguin from the Antarctic, was originally created for primary school children, but its outspokenness has gained popularity among the country's millennials.
A South Korean resident Na Hun-ju, who joined the celebration event with tens of thousands of citizens, said he hoped for a better relationship between South and North Korea.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None