- Title: Teeth-chattering cold wave hits normal life in northern India
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES, SOME WITH HEADLIGHTS ON PLYING AMID THICK BLANKET OF FOG VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS AND TREES SEEN AMID THICK FOG WOMEN DRESSED IN WOOLEN CLOTHES WALKING ON ROADSIDE AS VEHICLES, SOME WITH HEADLIGHTS ON PLY AMID FOG VEHICLES, SOME WITH HEADLIGHTS ON PLY AMID FOG VARIOUS OF CUSTOMERS AT WOOLLEN CLOTHES STALLS MAN DRESSED IN JACKET LOOKING ON AND SMILING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi and English) JAMMU RESIDENT, JAHANGIR, SAYING: "Sir, it is very cold. It is difficult for people to step out of their homes. From last two days it was extremely cold here. With this due (fog) people are notâ€¦ the roads are not visible clearly and the people came out of their rooms to buy the jackets for their (unclear). It's extremely cold. It is unbearable cold." NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PASSENGERS DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES WALKING OUTSIDE RAILWAY STATION PASSENGERS STANDING PASSENGERS SITTING AND WAITING DIGITAL BOARD SHOWING STATUS OF TRAINS PASSENGERS SITTING AND WAITING PASSENGERS WRAPPED IN BLANKETS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PASSENGER, SONU KUMAR, SAYING: "I have to Patna, Bihar and my train is at 1 p.m. (1830 GMT). Something it is running 7-8 hours late." LUDHIANA, PUNJAB, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) MEN DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES RIDING A TWO WHEELER/MAN DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES WALKING PEOPLE DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES WAITING ON TWO WHEELERS VEHICLES PLYING VARIOUS OF MEN DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES SITTING AROUND FIRE AND WARMING THEMSELVES MAN LOOKING ON MEN DRESSED IN WOOLLEN CLOTHES SITTING AROUND FIRE AND WARMING THEMSELVES FIRE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LUDHIANA RESIDENT, HAZIR, SAYING: "It is very cold. People are dying of cold and there we are not getting work so we are warming our hands and legs." AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SOLDIER WITH GUN ON GUARD GUN IN HANDS OF SOLDIER/FOGGY AREA VARIOUS OF SUB-INSPECTOR, NITIKA MALIK AND ARMED SECURITY PERSONNEL PATROLLING AT BORDER MALIK PATROLLING ARMED SECURITY PERSONNEL PATROLLING FOGGY AREA SEEN THROUGH BARBED WIRES (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) SUB-INSPECTOR, NITIKA MALIK, SAYING: "There is a lot of fog over here and the visibility here is at zero level. Sometimes the situation is such that one soldier is not able to see his fellow soldier so at that time we take the support of whistle and stay alert." CHANDIGARH, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES, SOME WITH HEADLIGHTS ON PLYING ON A FOGGY ROAD BUILDINGS AND TREES SEEN AMID FOG VEHICLES, SOME WITH HEADLIGHTS ON PLYING AMID FOG
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 07:17
- Keywords: India Jammu New Delhi Punjab border cold wave fog security trains winter
- Location: JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/NEW DELHI/ LUDHIANA, AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ CHANDIGARH, INDIA
- City: JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/NEW DELHI/ LUDHIANA, AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ CHANDIGARH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB2CSV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Teeth-chattering cold wave conditions in northern parts of India have made it difficult for people to step out of their homes to carry on with their daily activities.
Cold and icy winds have magnified the agony of people on Tuesday (December 31) who came out in the early hours of the day wearing multiple layers of clothing as some gathered around bonfires to fight the chill.
The temperature dropped to 8 degree Celsius in New Delhi and northern Ludhiana cities while in Jammu it was 11 degree Celsius at 12 p.m. (0630 GMT).
Reportedly, 30 trains were delayed forcing passengers to wrap themselves in blankets and wait at the railway station in the cold for hours.
Snowfall in states like Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh has a direct impact in other northern states like Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None