- Title: India rings in 2020 with fireworks, revelry, and prayers
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JANUARY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE RECORDING ON THEIR MOBILE PHONES FIREWORKS AND LIGHT SHOW AT GATEWAY OF INDIA MONUMENT GATEWAY OF INDIA MONUMENT BUILDING READING (Marathi): 'DECADE OF MAHARASHTRA' FIREWORKS PEOPLE STANDING AS OTHERS WALK LIGHT SHOW DISPLAYED ON BUILDING READING (English) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020' (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) REVELLER, SHABANA, SAYING: "New Year should go well, everything good should happen and the way this year started the entire year should go well."
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 06:57
- Keywords: 2020 India Kolkata Mumbai New Delhi New Year celebrations dance fireworks prayers
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCBPZJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People across India rang in the New Year 2020 with fireworks, dance, music, and prayers as the clock struck midnight on Wednesday (January 01).
Tourists and local residents in India's western Mumbai city gathered at the Gateway of India monument in huge numbers to witness light show and fireworks. People also danced and cheered to welcome the New Year with pomp and fervour.
In New Delhi, people gathered at Connaught Place area with friends and family and blew horns as they bid farewell to 2019.
Meanwhile, devotees flocked to the holiest shrine of Sikhism, the Golden temple early in the day to offer prayers and mark the auspicious beginning.
Security was also stepped up across the country to maintain law and order.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None