- Title: Sikh devotees mark birth anniversary of spiritual leader with prayers
- Date: 2nd January 2020
- Summary: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (JANUARY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ILLUMINATED HOLIEST SHRINE OF SIKHISM, THE GOLDEN TEMPLE DEVOTEE BOWING AND OFFERING PRAYERS/DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEE TAKING HOLY DIP IN SACRED POND GOLDEN TEMPLE DEVOTEES STANDING DEVOTEES WALKING FLOWER DECORATION DEVOTEES BOWING DOWN AND OFFERING PRAYERS (SOUNDBITE) (Punjabi) DEVOTEE, WASSAN SINGH, SAYING: "Guru Gobind Singh (10th Sikh Guru) gave us this guidance that how we must remain steadfast in our religion and work for the welfare of the people and also to stand against any kind of oppression and protect the oppressed and downtrodden." PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA (JANUARY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PRIEST STANDING/ PRIEST FANNING 'GURU GRANTH SAHIB'- HOLY BOOK OF SIKHISM DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS PRIESTS SITTING DEVOTEES STANDING WITH FOLDED HANDS PAINTING OF 10TH SIKH GURU, GURU GOBIND SINGH/PRIEST FANNING 'GURU GRANTH SAHIB'- HOLY BOOK OF SIKHISM DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEES STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEVOTEE, GAGANDEEP SINGH, SAYING: "This year also devotees have come from foreign countries in huge numbers and more than that, local people of Bihar and people belonging to different faiths have come here. People are very excited as you can see right now as they have come to worship here." PRIEST FANNING 'GURU GRANTH SAHIB' DEVOTEES OFFERING PRAYERS
- Embargoed: 16th January 2020 09:38
- Keywords: Amritsar Golden Temple Guru Gobind Singh India Patna birth anniversary prayers
- Location: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUHBK9B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sikh devotees in India's northern Amritsar city thronged the holiest shrine of Sikhism, the Golden Temple, to offer prayers on the 353rd birth anniversary their spiritual leader on Thursday (January 02).
Guru Gobind Singh is the 10th Sikh Guru, a warrior, poet, philosopher, and son of the revered 9th Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur who founded the Sikh warrior community, Khalsa in the late 17th century.
Devotees performed special prayers and took bath in the sacred pond as they remembered the spiritual leader on his birth anniversary.
In India's eastern Patna city, the birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh devotees gathered at a Sikh shrine to mark the auspicious occasion and seek blessings by offering prayers.
Sikhs in India form about two per cent of over 1.25 billion population and are largely concentrated in the northern Indian state of Punjab and national capital New Delhi.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None