- Title: Protests break out over citizenship law after Friday prayers in India
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (JANUARY 3, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE JAMA MASJID (GRAND MOSQUE) SLOGANEERING AND WAVING PLACARDS PROTESTERS HOLDING A HUGE INDIAN FLAG PRINTED WITH A POEM BY INDIAN POET AVTAR SINGH SANDHU 'PASH' WOMEN HOLDING THE FLAG AS SOME BEHIND THEM SHOW PLACARDS AND RAISE SLOGANS PLACARD READING (English): "YOU KNOW WHO ELSE WAS OBSESSED WITH BLOODLINES? NAZIS" PROTESTERS HOLDING ANOTHER INDIAN FLAG PRINTED WITH A POEM BY PAKISTANI POET FAIZ AHMAD FAIZ PROTESTER CLAPPING AND SLOGANEERING PLACARDS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH BANNERS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AN UNIDENTIFIED PROTERSTER, SAYING: "We are protesting because this law divides the country on the basis of religion. The tradition of our country has been unity in diversity. India is not just a Hindu nation. India is made up of different communities." THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (JANUARY 3, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF STUDENTS MARCHING AND SLOGANEERING STUDENTS AT PROTEST AS ONE HOLDS PLACARD, READING (English): "WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW, RESISTANCE BECOMES POWER" VARIOUS OF STUDENTS AT PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (English) LEADER OF COMMUNIST PARTY OF INDIA, KALANJOOR NARAYANA BALAGOPAL, SAYING: "The plot of BJP (India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party) is to divide people, divide the community on the basis of communal lines is not possible because the youngsters, especially the student communities, are very active and they are at the forefront of united struggle against these divisive techniques of the BJP government." SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (JANUARY 3, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CHIEF OF INDIA'S EASTERN WEST BENGAL STATE, MAMATA BANERJEE, HITTING A GONG WHILE LEADING A PROTEST MARCH SILIGURI RESIDENTS WATCHING VARIOUS OF BANERJEE LEADING THE MARCH
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 11:50
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India Muslims New Delhi Siliguri citizenship protests
- Location: NEW DELHI/ SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/ SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMBSR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Muslims in New Delhi thronged the 17-th century Mughal mosque of Jama Masjid and raised slogans against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) after Friday prayers.
Thousands of protesters also took to the streets of the national capital against the new law which they say is discriminatory against Muslims and chips away at the country's secular constitution.
Similar protests were seen in other parts of the country as well with students marching in southern Thiruvananthapuram city and chief of eastern West Bengal state, Mamata Banerjee, taking out another huge rally in Siliguri against the law.
India has been rocked by the protests since Dec. 12, when the government passed legislation easing the way for non-Muslim minorities from the neighboring Muslim-majority nations of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Pakistan to gain Indian citizenship.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None