- Title: Ambulances on road to Baghdad airport after Iran's Soleimani killed
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) SIGN READING 'BAGHDAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT' VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES DRIVING TOWARDS AIRPORT ROAD LEADING TO AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 02:29
- Keywords: Iran Qassem Soleimani Quds force strike
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMCAX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis were killed early on Friday (January 3) in an air strike on their convoy at Baghdad airport, an Iraqi militia spokesman told Reuters.
"The American and Israeli enemy is responsible for killing the mujahideen Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and Qassem Soleimani," said Ahmed al-Assadi, a spokesman for Iraq's Popular Mobilisation Forces umbrella grouping of Iran-backed militias.
Strikes had been carried out against two targets linked to Iran in Baghdad on Thursday, U.S. officials told Reuters. The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, declined to give any further details.
Iraqi paramilitary groups said on Friday that three rockets hit Baghdad International Airport, killing five members of Iraqi paramilitary groups and two "guests."
The rockets landed near the air cargo terminal, burning two vehicles, killing and injuring several people.
(Production: Haider Kadhim, Mohammed Kaftan, Edward Baran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None