- Title: UKRAINE-CRISIS/MH17 FILE U.N. to vote on MH17 draft resolution
- Date: 28th July 2015
- Summary: HRABOVE, UKRAINE (FILE - JULY 17, 2014) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PLANE WRECKAGE WITH SMOKE BILLOWING OVER IT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COLLECTING PLANE WRECKAGE HRABOVE, UKRAINE (FILE - JULY 19, 2014) (REUTERS) UKRAINIAN EMERGENCIES SERVICE WORKERS SEARCHING FIELD UKRAINIAN EMERGENCIES SERVICE WORKER CARRYING BLACK BOX HRABOVE, UKRAINE (FILE - JULY 19, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF UKRAINIAN EMERGENCIES SERVICE WORKERS LOADING BODIES ON STRETCHERS AND CARRYING THEM THROUGH FIELD HRABOVE, UKRAINE (FILE - SEPTEMBER 9, 2014) (REUTERS) PART OF MH17 AIRCRAFT BY SIDE OF ROAD VARIOUS OF PARTS OF AIRCRAFT SCATTERED ACROSS FIELD DRIED BOUQUET OF FLOWERS VARIOUS OF PLANE REMAINS SCATTERED ACROSS FIELD HRABOVE, DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE (FILE - NOVEMBER 16, 2014) (REUTERS) BACK OF OSCE OBSERVER VARIOUS OF LOCAL EMERGENCY MINISTRY OFFICERS WORKING AT CRASH SITE MH17 RECOVERY MISSION OFFICER TAKING PICTURE LOCAL EMERGENCY MINISTRY OFFICER HAMMERING WRECKAGE VARIOUS OF PARTS OF WRECKAGE BEING LOADED ON TRUCK MH17 RECOVERY MISSION OFFICERS ON SITE VARIOUS OF PARTS OF WRECKAGE BEING LOADED ON TRUCK MAN WORKING VARIOUS OF PARTS OF WRECKAGE BEING LOADED ON TRUCK AND WORKERS IN FIELD KHARKIV, UKRAINE (FILE - JULY 23, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COFFINS BEING LOADED ONTO PLANE SEPANG, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA (FILE - JULY 18, 2014) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (English): "FAMILY FRIEND RECEPTION CENTRE" RELATIVES OF PASSENGERS ON BOARD MH17 WOMAN SITTING AND CRYING SIGN READING (English): "PRAY FOR MH17" KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (FILE - JULY 23, 2014) (REUTERS) MALAYSIAN PARLIAMENT OBSERVES MOMENT OF SILENCE PARLIAMENT SPECIAL SESSION IN PROGRESS / SPEAKER OF HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE, AMIN PANDIKAR MULIA SITTING ON FAR RIGHT MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER NAJIB STANDING UP (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Malaysia) MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER NAJIB RAZAK SAYING: "The honourable people's representatives condemn the inhumane, uncivilized, cruel and irresponsible action that had resulted in the downing of flight MH17." PARLIAMENT MEMBERS LISTENING SEPANG, MALAYSIA (FILE - AUGUST 22, 2014) (REUTERS) MALAYSIA AIRLINES JET CARRYING BODIES OF MH17 VICTIMS ARMED FORCES PERSONNEL BRINGING COFFINS OUT FROM THE PLANE VARIOUS OF ARMED FORCES PERSONNEL CARRYING COFFINS TO VEHICLE ARMED FORCES PERSONNEL PLACING COFFINS IN VEHICLE ARMED FORCES PERSONNEL STANDING TO ATTENTION EINDHOVEN, NETHERLANDS (FILE - JULY 23, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DUTCH HERCULES C-130 LANDING AT EINDHOVEN AIRFIELD VARIOUS OF AUSTRALIAN BOEING C-17 LANDING AT EINDHOVEN AIRFIELD DIGNITARIES INCLUDING DUTCH PRIME MINISTER MARK RUTTE AND DUTCH KING WILLEM- ALEXANDER AND QUEEN MAXIMA WATCHING
- Embargoed: 12th August 2015 13:00
- Location: Netherlands
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAAL0M5YDYND0FTTUN86QHQ5ZZ4
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.N. Security Council is to vote on Wednesday (July 29) on a bid for an international tribunal to prosecute those suspected of downing a passenger airliner a year ago in Ukraine, but Russia says it is likely to block the move.
On July 17, 2014, Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down in eastern Ukraine with 298 passengers on board, two-thirds of them Dutch.
It crashed in Ukrainian territory held by Russian-backed separatists.
Malaysia, part of the 15-member council until 2016, distributed a draft resolution on an international tribunal to prosecute those suspected of downing the plane.
in July. It is a joint proposal with Australia, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Ukraine.
However, the move has been dismissed by Russia, which is a veto-wielding permanent member on the 15-member council, along with France, Britain, China and the United States. Russia has the option of blocking the proposal if it is put to a vote.
Malaysia Airlines MH17 was shot down a year ago with 298 passengers on board, two-thirds of them Dutch. It crashed in Ukrainian territory held by Russian-backed separatists.
Ukraine and Western countries accuse rebels in eastern Ukraine of shooting down the plane with a Russian-made missile.
Moscow has rejected accusations it supplied the rebels with SA-11 Buk anti-aircraft missile systems.
Russia for its part has put forward a scenario, denied by Kiev, that the airliner was downed by a rocket fired from a Ukrainian fighter jet.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None