- Title: Royal farewell: UK's Harry and Meghan leave final royal engagement
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) PRINCE HARRY AND WIFE MEGHAN LEAVING WESTMINSTER ABBEY / GETTING INTO CAR CAR DRIVING OFF / HARRY AND MEGHAN WAVING DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE, PRINCE WILLIAM AND KATE, LEAVING WESTMINSTER ABBEY/GETTING INTO CAR / CAR DRIVING OFF PRINCE OF WALES AND DUCHESS OF CORNWALL, PRINCE CHARLES AND CAMILLA, LEAVING CAR DRIVING OFF / CHARLES AND CAMILLA WAVING BRITAIN'S QUEEN ELIZABETH LEAVING AND WAVING/GETTING INTO CAR CAR DRIVING OFF / QUEEN ELIZABETH WAVING BRITISH PRIME MINISTER BORIS JOHNSON AND FIANCÃ‰E CARRIE SYMONDS GETTING INTO CAR CAR DRIVING OFF
- Keywords: Britain Canada Duke and Duchess of Sussex Harry and Meghan UK royal family royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4C0MYV
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:03:44
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text:Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left London's Westminster Abbey on Monday (March 9) in what was the last public family gathering before the couple set off on a new career path devoid of official duties.
Britain's top royals came together at the annual Commonwealth Service. It was the first time Harry and Meghan had been seen with Queen Elizabeth, his elder brother William and wife Kate, and father Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, since the couple thrashed out an exit deal from their royal roles in January.
Harry and Meghan chatted and laughed with people outside the abbey during their departure.
The January agreement, which comes into action at the end of the month, will see the couple - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - seek to carve out "a progressive new role," mainly based in North America, that they aim to finance themselves.
Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, will stop using their HRH titles - His or Her Royal Highness, will not use "royal" in their branding and Harry, who will remain a prince, will relinquish his military titles.
Their announcement two months ago that they wished to step back from some of their royal duties sent shockwaves through the monarchy.
The couple have spent most of their time since in Canada, but returned at the start of the month for a farewell round of engagements. Harry and Meghan's baby son Archie has remained behind in Canada.
Monday's event to mark Commonwealth Day is their last official royal appearance and comes less than two years since they married in a dazzling ceremony of pomp and pageantry watched by millions worldwide. There is no certainty about when the family will next be seen together.
(Production: Sarah Mills / Will Russell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 17:14
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None