- Title: Honduras confirms its first two cases of coronavirus
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL VARIOUS, PEOPLE WITH FACE COVER PERSON LEAVING HOSPITAL WITH FACE COVER GENERAL VIEW OF TEGUCIGALPA
- Keywords: Honduras President Juan Orlando Hernandez Tegucigalpa coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4LW8JR
- Location: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- City: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- Country: Honduras
- Duration: 00:00:25
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Honduras has confirmed the first two cases of the new coronavirus in its territory, President Juan Orlando Hernandez confirmed on Wednesday (March 11).
The Health Ministry in Honduras said that two women aged 42 and 37 had tested positive after returning to the country from Spain and Switzerland, respectively.
The 42-year-old has been hospitalised and is in stable condition, while the younger patient is in isolation at home, the ministry said in a statement.
The news comes after the Health Ministry in Panama confirmed that 11 people on its territory had tested positive for the virus, and that one - a 64-year-old who was already suffering with diabetes and pneumonia - had died.
It marked the second coronavirus death in Latin America, after Argentina confirmed last week that one of its 17 coronavirus patients - a 64-year-old Buenos Aires resident - had died of the illness.
The virus has now reached over a dozen Latin American countries: Brazil (37), Chile (23), Ecuador (17), Costa Rica (13), Peru (13), Colombia (9), Mexico (7), Dominican Republic (5), Paraguay (5) and Honduras (2).
The virus, which began spreading in China in December, has infected more than 113,000 people, according to the World Health Organisation.
(Production: Marvin Valladares, Carlos Carrillo, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 20:32
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None