- Title: Airline passengers try to sort out travel amid coronavirus chaos
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (FILE - 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PLANES TAKING OFF
- Keywords: COVID-19 airlines cancellations coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA004C4W0TAF
- Location: BUENOS AIRES AND EZEIZA, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES AND EZEIZA, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Duration: 00:00:17
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Argentines and tourists lined up outside of airline offices on Friday (March 13) attempting to sort out travel plans ahead of the implementation of strict travel measures aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus.
Earlier this week, Argentina said it would stop issuing visas to travelers and suspend flights from countries hardest-hit by the virus, including the United States, China, Japan, South Korea and European countries.
On Thursday (March 12), Argentina reported 31 cases, up from 21 the day before, and one death. Most involved people who had traveled abroad, mostly to Europe, but a few people have been infected locally.
Anxious travelers said the situation was feeling "disorganized."
On Friday, the government mandated that starting on Tuesday (March 17) only Aerolineas Argentina would be able to repatriate Argentine.
Officials in the capital, Buenos Aires, said they would ban public attendance at sporting events and large gatherings, state news agency Telam reported.
(Production: Horacio Soria, Miguel Lo Bianco)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 18:38
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None