- Title: Turkey halts flights with nine European countries to contain coronavirus
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) TURKISH HEALTH MINISTER FAHRETTIN KOCA AND TRANSPORT MINISTER MEHMET CAHIT TURHAN HOLDING NEWS CONFERENCE REPORTERS AND OFFICIALS SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH TRANSPORT MINISTER, MEHMET CAHIT TURHAN, SAYING: "Flights to and from Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden and the Netherlands will be suspended from Saturday 0800 AM (0500 GMT) until April 17. This date can be brought forward or pushed back upon the decision of Health Ministry."
- Keywords: Coronavirus Turkish parliament being disinfected aircraft being disinfected flights cancelled measures
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4W0NRB
- Location: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:00:48
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Turkey said on Friday (March 13) it was halting flights to and from nine European countries including Germany and France until April 17 as it ramped up measures to halt the spread of coronavirus and reported three more cases, bringing the total to five.
Turkey became the last major economy on Wednesday (March 11) to report an outbreak of the coronavirus after taking what the World Health Organization (WHO) described as "vigilant, cautious" measures to delay the disease.
Transport Minister Mehmet Cahit Turhan said the suspension of flights to and from nine countries would take effect from 0500 GMT on Saturday (March 14).
The countries are Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Belgium and the Netherlands. Turhan said the list could be updated, depending on developments.
Turkey has already suspended flights to and from Italy, China, South Korea, Iran and Iraq.
Turkish Airlines said the company would provide passengers with tickets to the nine countries with "the best form of refund and ticket change terms" in light of the measures.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Omer Berberoglu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 17:25
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None