- Title: Empty classrooms, cruise ship isolated as coronavirus measures spread in Brazil
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: CAMPINAS, BRAZIL (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) SIGN ON DOOR NOTIFYING UNIVERSITY'S CLOSURE VARIOUS, EMPTY UNIVERSITY CAMPUS EMPTY CLASSROOM SEEN THROUGH WINDOW EMPTY CLASSROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) UNICAMP UNIVERSITY RECTOR, MARCELO KNOBEL, SAYING: "So, our function as a public university where we have a responsibility for the young people that study here, for the people that work here, and, naturally, for the whole area of health - it (The university's closure) was to try to lower the rhythm of this infection." VARIOUS, EMPTY CAMPUS AND CLASSROOMS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BIOLOGY STUDENT, GUSTAVO HENRIQUE, SAYING: "Both the activities in person and the remote ones were going to be suspended and maybe that will be a little damaging for our studies, but I think the suspension is important, it's important for our health, for the students' health." VARIOUS, EMPTY CAMPUS
- Embargoed: 27th March 2020 18:21
- Keywords: Brazil classes coronavirus cruise ship empty government isolated restrictions suspended university
- Location: BRASILIA, RECIFE & CAMPINAS, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, RECIFE & CAMPINAS, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003C4W0KLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazil is ramping up closures of schools and is isolating a cruise ship docked off its coast as the government's tone on the coronavirus has changed after President Jair Bolsonaro tested negative for the highly contagious infection Friday (March 13).
Bolsonaro's communications secretary Fabio Wajngarten, tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday (March 12) and is in quarantine.
A cruise ship with 609 people on board has been isolated in Brazil's northeastern port of Recife since Thursday morning after a passenger showed symptoms similar to those of the new coronavirus, according to the Department of Health in Pernambuco state.
Meanwhile, at the University of Campinas in the state of Sao Paulo, a student said the school's closure, while potentially damaging to studies was necessary. "I think the suspension is important, it's important for our health," said biology student, Gustavo Henrique.
Brazil has confirmed 98 cases of the coronavirus, the Ministry of Health said on Thursday.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Sergio Queiroz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None