- Title: Algerians defy coronavirus threat to keep up protests
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: ALGIERS, ALGERIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ANTI-RIOT POLICEMEN WITH FACE MASKS STANDING AS THEY WATCH PROTEST VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS, MANY WEARING FACE MASKS, MARCHING AND CHANTING PROTESTER WEARING MASK CHANTING 'DOWN WITH THE REGIME' (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTERS, SALIMA AND MALIKA, SAYING: "There is no corona(virus). They (ruling elite) are the coronavirus. They are the corona." MASKED PROTESTER / PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTERS WALKING PAST ANTI-RIOT POLICE MAN CARRYING CHILD WEARING FLAG / PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, MOHAMED, SAYING: "They are the corona, not us. They are the big virus. If they leave, there will be no virus. They are our virus. The system is the virus." WOMAN PROTESTER ADJUSTING FLAG ON MOUTH AND NOSE PROTESTERS MARCHING / PROTESTER HOLDING LARGE ALGERIAN FLAG PROTESTER WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK AND CHANTING PROTESTERS CHANTING 'NO MILITARY' AND HOLDING LARGE ALGERIAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, REDA, SAYING: "No plague and no corona, there is no virus worse than them. We want a state of law, a state of justice. We will not stop until we get our freedom, until we get our freedom, God willing." REDA AND OTHER PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CHANTING WIDE OF PROTEST/ PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER (WITH WHITE FACE MASK AND SUIT), YOUCEF, SAYING: "We want change. If there is no change, nothing will stop us. Not the coronavirus or any other virus." PROTESTER YOUCEF HOLDING UP SIGN READING (Arabic): "No to a new constitution without a foundational council" PROTECTIVE MASKS ON TABLE MAN SELLING PROTECTIVE MASKS TO PROTESTERS FEMALE PROTESTERS CHANTING AND HOLDING FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, YOUNES, SAYING: "Despite the coronavirus, we will remain in the street until we fulfil the demands of the people." PROTESTER YOUNES HOLDING BANNER / SIGN READING (English): "No one can stop us writing our history" PROTESTER PLAYING INSTRUMENTS PROTESTERS MARCHING THROUGH STREET
- Embargoed: 27th March 2020 17:36
- Keywords: Algeria Coronavirus Military Protests Ruling Elite
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- City: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4W0OJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of Algerians defied the threat of coronavirus on Friday (March 13) to march against the ruling elite, keeping up a campaign of weekly protests that have lasted for more than a year and convulsed national politics.
Algeria has confirmed 26 cases of the coronavirus and two deaths, and the prime minister this week urged citizens to reduce their demands on the government and lessen their street presence in view of the risks to public health.
In downtown Algiers, police wore face masks and a group of youngsters sold protective gear and liquid soap along with national flags, which many protesters have waved during demonstrations.
Those who marched on Friday said they remained committed to keeping their protest movement - known as Hirak, or 'movement' - in force until they achieve their demand of pushing the old ruling elite from power.
The government, which has publicly praised Hirak while using police tactics and arrests to put protesters under pressure, has banned spectators from sports events and closed schools and universities.
This week it also barred political and social gatherings, but it did not specify whether this measure would apply to the weekly mass protests.
(Production: Abdelaziz Boumzar, Nadeen Ebrahim, Gabriela Boccaccio)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None