Fans disappointed as India, SA ODIs to be played in empty stadiums to combat coronavirusRecord ID: 1463869
- Title: Fans disappointed as India, SA ODIs to be played in empty stadiums to combat coronavirus
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ENTRANCE GATE OF EKANA INTERNATIONAL CRICKET STADIUM SIGNBOARD AT TICKET COUNTERS READING (English): 'BOX OFFICE TICKET SALES' ENTRANCE GATE OF STADIUM CRICKET FAN, BIPIN SHARMA, HOLDING TICKETS IN HANDS TICKETS SPECTATOR STAND IN STADIUM WORKERS IN GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CRICKET FAN, BIPIN MISHRA, SAYING: "We are feeling hopeless. Earlier, we were happy that we were going to see the match as it was our first time. Lucknow is hosting the match for the second time. We are feeling hopeless. However, this decision that has been taken is very good for the locals and all of us." KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (MARCH 13, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF EDEN GARDENS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CRICKET FAN, PRASHANT BHUMI, SAYING: "The decision that has been taken is very sad for the public because the game-lovers watch the game. And now, the fans will not be able to watch it. However, the decision taken by BCCI because of coronavirus is a good decision. As, first we have to think about our lives and then the game. If we are alive, then only we will be able to watch the game." DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (RECENT - MARCH 11, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SOUTH AFRICAN CRICKETERS HOLDING CRICKET KIT WALKING SOUTH AFRICAN CRICKETERS ARRIVING FOR PRACTICE SESSION CRICKETERS STRETCHING SOUTH AFRICAN CAPTAIN QUINTON DE KOCK STRETCHING VARIOUS OF INDIAN CRICKETERS WARMING UP
- Keywords: BCCI Coronavirus India Kolkata Lucknow South Africa cricket empty stadium fans
- Reuters ID: LVA002C4VWKSV
- Location: LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH/ KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA/INTERNET
- City: LUCKNOW, UTTAR PRADESH/ KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:02:20
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Cricket,Sport
- Story Text: Cricket fans were left in a daze as India on Thursday (March 12) ordered upcoming international cricket matches to be played in empty stadiums as a preventive measure to combat the spread of coronavirus.
Board of Control for Cricket in India tweeted saying the remaining two one-day international (ODI) matches to be played between hosts India and South Africa will be played behind closed doors.
While the decision has disappointed the fans, they said they do understand the intention behind it is safety.
"First we have to think about our lives and then the game," said a cricket fan, Prashant Bhumi, on Friday (March 13) in eastern Kolkata city which will host the third ODI.
With 75 confirmed cases and one death, India has so far been relatively unscathed by the virus compared to elsewhere in Asia, Europe and North America. But experts fear that its overstretched medical systems may not be able to handle the type of intensive care required to handle a spike in infections.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 08:08
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None